Summer

As a teacher, I love summer more than most people. That is not to say that I tend to do anything special or consistently engaging. Some summers are filled with camping, hiking, backpacking, and travel. Others are focused on gardening and yard work. And some, like this year, involve spending a lot of money fixing myself and my house.

What's up with me now? Bilateral Plantar Fasciitis that I have been dealing with for almost two years. I am finally dedicating myself to getting my feet better: Physical Therapy, twice daily exercises, lots of stretching, orthotics and birkenstocks, athletic tape, and no going barefoot. I am slowly seeing improvement but I wonder if I will ever be able to wear cute shoes again :(

Next, the house. Ripping up carpet, replacing trim, painting, laying flooring, fixing storm windows, and donating a lot of stuff me and the fam no longer need. It feels so good to lighten the load. Plus, I am very cheap labor. I may not be as highly skilled in carpentry and flooring but I can take my time and do a good job. What is the quote? 
"Good, fast, cheap: pick any two.
  • You can have good and fast, but it won’t be cheap.
  • You can have good and cheap, but it won’t be fast.
  • You can have fast and cheap, but it won’t be good."    Erwind Frand
All of these very necessary changes come as my oldest gets ready to head off to college -- something that will leave me as a tearful pile of goo in August, right as school is getting started. So how do I plan for that emotional train wreck?

In the next few weeks, I will create order from all this chaos and start planning. Most people don't know this but me and many other teachers out there plan, write, and work on next year's curriculum for several weeks before school starts. No I don't get paid but this time is essential in keeping my sanity, especially during DEVOLSON (http://www.loveteachblog.com/search?q=DEVOLSON), that dreadful time between Labor Day and Thanksgiving...

So, for now, I take a deep breath, work with my hands, and give my brain a break. All too soon, I will be neck deep in kids, parents, and grading.
Cheers!


Comments